09 Nov

Publication and Everything After

And just like that … I got published. At least this is how it looks now, after all those years of agonizing over writing, finding an agent, not finding a publisher, editing and then finding a micro-publisher after all.

found on tinseltownspeople.blogspot.com

Now my baby is born, sitting on my lap, all fresh-faced and smelling sweetly. I have to admit, I am smitten. Will and Dally have finally made it to paper. And for a moment it’s happily-ever-after.

But I also realize that by having finally physically born my brainchild, it means that it’s gone and out of my reach. Waddling out there on its own, with all its potential and all its flaws for others to enjoy and to judge, or simply to ignore. While I am condemned to watch from the sidelines, it’s going to fend on its own in a world that I imagine pretty much like the one in 300, only with hoards of unpredictable critics and readers.

This mixture of being proud and ecstatic and and anxious and sad all in one is one of the most intense feelings that I have experienced on my journey – the closest I got to “real” motherly feelings in my life, actually.

And that’s it for the cheese. There’s another book out there to finish. There’s another new country to explore.

And to all of you German speakers/readers out there – there’s a bloody book to read!
Order WIE DU MIR now and let me know what you think. :)

found on http://3.bp.blogspot.com/

10 Comments

1. 1 November 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I’m so happy for you, and I can only imagine how it must feel. Julian has been my baby for 3 years, and the day his novel is published (because it will be no matter what)
    I think I will be able to relate to your feelings.
    Julian will be fine of course, he’ll just ran a hand through his hair, smile, and roll himself a ciggie, after winking at a pretty girl :-D

2. 2 November 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

Oh, meant to say, any chance of your novel ever being translated to English?

3. 3 November 9, 2011 at 10:17 am

Totally fantastic that one of friends has finally been published…and totally frustrating that it’s in German!

4. 4
    Zrinka
    November 9, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Can’t wait to start reading (slowly but surely)!

5. 5
    inallthewriteplaces
    November 9, 2011 at 11:57 pm

@Alannah – thanks so much for the warm words, and being such an encouraging and great companion on the way. Am sure I will be able to congratulate you on the same, one day. :)

6. 6
    inallthewriteplaces
    November 9, 2011 at 11:58 pm

@Alannah II: Hm, chances are quite slim I need to admit. Only books that are hugely successful in German and other markets usually make it to the English translation. :/

7. 7
    inallthewriteplaces
    November 9, 2011 at 11:59 pm

@ Paul: I know … it is a shame. :( So why don’t you go ahead and learn a bit of German? How hard can it be? And a good investment, too :)

8. 8
    inallthewriteplaces
    November 10, 2011 at 12:00 am

@Zrinka: Aw, I hope it’s not too hard … thanks for your support! :)

9. 9 November 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

The Monkey lives!!! And is swinging in the blogosphere just long enough to CONGRATULATE you an infinite amount. Never, ever in my life have I wished so much that I could read German :) Well, I imagine you know by now that I am BEYOND proud of you and this well-deserved accomplishment. What a gift you’re sharing with the masses (the German-speaking, at least), and I eagerly await the day it’s translated to English to spread that much more like wildfire. Truly in awe of your talent and perseverance, girl.

And I can’t believe you’re moving again!!! A second round of applause to you, then, that you’re returning to where your heart has never truly left. Good luck with the logistics of all that and welcome home, lass :)

10. 10
    inallthewriteplaces
    November 13, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Well, hello!! It is so nice to see you again. Blogosphere was a bit empty without you , dear monkey! Hope you had a wonderful time with your family. Will you return to screech to us? Would be sad if you wouldn’t. Thanks so so much for all your warm words. Things are quite exciting lately, and so many changes again. But it is good stuff, and although the book has just gone into the next round of struggling, I just try to enjoy the ride. And yes, I really missed Ireland. Now let’s hope we find back home well. :) Btw, if you want to “like” Ellen Dunne’s page, you will get more info on how things are going. ;)

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *